Improve Jamsil Sports Complex (414,205 ㎡) and its support facilities
- Main stadium, auxiliary stadium, indoor sports complex (indoor gymnasium, swimming pool), baseball park
Build large-scale exhibition and convention facilities, and expand related infrastructure
(commercial and cultural facilities)
Establish a plan to utilize the surrounding area and waterside areas (513,447 ㎡)
by moving Olympic-daero, Tancheondong-ro, and Tancheonseo-ro underground.
Upgrade dilapidated sport facilities, and combine cultural and commercial functions to build an urban sports complex
Main Stadium: Preserve the circular stadium (location, central design), a symbolism of the 1988 Olympics, and modernize the stadium for international games.
- Utilize the seating capacity of 60,000 by combining sports with additional facilities to create synergy, and enhance the usability in general.
Auxiliary Stadium: Utilize the stadium as a multi-use stadium, as a track and field training facility, a public sports facility, and as a soccer stadium.
- With a seating capacity of 2,000, place it adjoining the main stadium.
Sports Complex: Transform into a complex for sports and culture, with concert and entertainment facilities.
- A complex featuring an indoor gymnasium, swimming pool, and concert hall (hosting professional basketball games), with a seating capacity of 11,000
Baseball Park: Build in a location offering views of the Hangang River, design for optimal game-viewing experiences, games, and expand convenient facilities for players and audience.
- Featuring a seating capacity of 35,000 and for-profit facilities, including retail.
Build a hub of international business exchange, leading global competitiveness by building a MICE cluster and creating Seoul exhibition brands
Exhibition and Convention: Capitalize on the locational advantage of the center of the city, establish a cluster by linking similar facilities nearby, connect to the global network, and create Seoul exhibition brands.
- Build large-scale facilities (around 100,000 ㎡) dedicated to exhibitions and conventions in the center of the city.
Functions: Build accommodations such as luxury business hotels and youth hostels, and establish for-profit facilities (190,000 ㎡) differentiated from local commercial areas on the basis of pedestrian walkways.
- MICE linked businesses such as duty free shops and sports category killers are recommended.
- Program: Establish creative facilities and programs suitable for the characteristics of a MICE Complex and amplify synergy with each facility.
Make tourist attractions by building facilities for leisure and rest at the center of the city, including places to walk and ecological bases
- Moving roads underground: Move Olympic-daero, Tancheondong-ro, and Tancheonseo-ro underground in order to integrate and use the waterside areas.
- The waterside areas: The waterside areas around the Hangang River can be used for a multi-purpose location featuring performances, picnicking, and camping, and Tancheon Stream can serve as a rest area allowing for daily leisure at the center of the city.
Pedestrian walkways: Build pedestrian walkways encompassing COEX, Hyundai Motors GBC, Tancheon Stream, Jamsil Sports Complex, and the Hangang River
- Build a symbolic Tancheon Walkway that integrates buildings into a bridge, and use it as a base for cultural tourism.
- Ecological bases: Preserve and nurture the channel junction of the Hangang River and Tancheon Stream, where various ecosystems exist, as an ecological base.
First stage [2019~2021]
- Relocation of Student Gymnasium, demolition of swimming pool
- Construction of exhibition/convention facility ①
- Construction of the indoor sports complex
- Construction of leased facility of hotels and for-profit facilities
- Maintenance of the Hangang River and Tancheon riverside
Second stage [2019~2023]
- After National Sports Festival (in 2019), demolition of indoor gymnasium and auxiliary stadium
- Renovation of the main stadium
- Relocation and construction of the auxiliary stadium
- Construction of the youth hostel
- Construction of the marina and related for-profit leased facilities
Third stage [2020~2025]
- Moving Olympic-daero underground and demolition of the baseball park
- Relocation and construction of the baseball park
- Construction of exhibition/convention facility ②